WE ARE ECUMENICAL AND INCLUSIVE
Mountain View is an ecumenical church affiliated with the Presbyterian Church (USA), The United Church of Christ, and The United Methodist Church. As a Christian community, we seek to be inclusive of all persons without regard to age, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious background, marital status, economic status, or personal ability. Recognizing individual differences, we believe that all people can grow and practice a unity of faith. We welcome into the full life and ministry of our church all those who seek truth through the teachings of Jesus. As an ecumenical congregation, we consider ourselves to be an Open and Affirming (UCC), More Light (PCUSA) and Reconciling (UMC) congregation.
OUR BELIEFS AND VALUES
Our core values are encompassed in our statement of belief and our vision, mission and values.
We are Mountain View United Church, a welcoming and inclusive community of worship. Our Vision is to educate and support a spiritual, Christian, ecumenical body that reaches out to the community and to those in need throughout the world.
STATEMENT OF BELIEF
In the late 1980’s, Mountain View adopted a document titled “Statement of Belief”. This statement continues to accurately describe the theological life of our community.
- We believe in God.
- We believe that Jesus revealed the goodness and love of God; and willingly embrace being instruments of that revelation today.
- We believe that God is still active in the world, helping us to modify the destructiveness of our behavior, that we may have joy and peace in the midst of suffering.
- We believe that the Bible is an account of God’s acts in the formative period of belief. These acts were interpreted in the light of faith and according to the knowledge of the times. It is a basic source of our own identity as a community of faith.
- We believe that church should be a place where love and forgiveness are found.
- At Mountain View, we value our diversity, and welcome differing viewpoints.
- We know that each of us is at a different point in his or her journey of faith, and try, without being arrogant, to accept people whose ideas differ from ours.
- We believe that an individual’s journey of faith is both an inner and outer process: one that focuses on a person’s own spiritual, emotional and intellectual growth, and also involves each person in addressing the needs and concerns of others.
- We will provide an evolving ecumenical worship experience from the diversity of our faith traditions;
- We will provide study opportunities which will challenge, invigorate and inform our lives together;
- We will embrace God’s Creation in all of its diversity;
- We will provide a safe environment in which to nurture and heal;
- We will be a visible, viable and value driven community.
- We value worship as Word, music, and welcome;
- We value the Bible, our Christian history and our on-going openness to seek the Divine in new ways;
- We value the search for meaning through our individual journeys, corporate gathering and world care;
- We value being a community that works, worships, and witnesses together;
- We value our obligation to contribute to something greater than ourselves;
- We value our children and the child in each of us who needs to be nourished, educated and nurtured;
- We value our place in God’s Creation and our responsibility to it.